Monday, June 29, 2015

Do You Know the "Muffin Man"?

"Do you know the muffin man?" & I don't mean the one who lives on Drury lane.


"Ever since I could remember graffiti was always considered a crime of vandalism to some & to others it was a freedom of artistic expression or a passion for street Art.
In 2009 I remember the first time I ever saw a piece from the infamous Muffin Man over on 183rd st. & Jerome Avenue on the side of a bakery; what seem to look like a cupcake, & I just kept seeing more & more cupcakes once I took the 4 train going uptown & downtown, so I started to wonder who was the person behind the cupcakes.When I finally got in contact with the artist I was shocked to see a familiar face who use to live 2 blocks away from me, so I started to get a better insight on who the muffin man was"- Mike Miles





Q: What inspired you to start drawing cupcakes and muffins?
A:  When I first started following graffiti I became inspired by artists that used an iconic image like Claw, Rate "The Rat", Hands, Korn. I tried a bunch of different images and names locally but still wasn't satisfied. I was influenced by a few images I kept seeing. I did one cupcake one night by JFK High School in The Bronx & got props from a bunch of people I knew. I knew then and there I could catch the eyes and attention of many by this image.



Q: From tags, to large murals, to canvases, and sculptures. Is there a specific form you favor?
A: No. I'm always trying new mediums because knowledge is power. The more I know the more powerful and diverse I become. I do love aerosol on outside walls mucho.

Q: Why graffiti? Is there a specific reason that you’re drawn to tagging public walls?
A: It just became a phase kids were going through in my neighborhood. I’ve been through many hobbies in my neighborhood and within my friend circle. We became dedicated because we all had companionship in these activities. I actually started as a look-out because I was too afraid of penalties, had a sharp eye, and knew how to talk to the police if stopped. After a while i was taken an equal risk by doing these missions of climbing and trespassing that I decided to mark my own name.
The rush is the reason. You feel a certain power when you see police that can’t see you. When you reach almost impossible heights hours before sunrise. Walking home all dirty and full of paint and not handcuffed or in central booking.

Q: You have illegal art and tags all around the NYC and London. Have you ever been arrested? What do you do to stay out of sight?
A: I have never been arrested for vandalism. But for other things, and have beat every case. It’s funny what defining terms on a summons does. I barely paint alone. When I do it's on a spot that I can’t be seen by a street view. Writers look out on corners for each other. I’ve used disguises. Oh and running! You have two choices when caught by police, get away or share a cell with a bunch of scum bags and guys who got caught slippin! Conceal your identity, don't use or tell anyone your name. Don't post pictures of your face. There's so many ways, ask Banksy, haha.

*After a few more personal questions & joking around about the past I had one serious question to ask him before we went our separate ways.*


Q: What do you think is the purpose of art in society?

A: Art has no purpose, it does have an effect though; and how people are affected gives art somewhat of a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment