Thursday, June 04, 2015

V.A.W recently caught up with rapper D.C for an interview.Check it out below!!

DC: Before we even get started I want to thank you for the reaching out and giving me the opportunity to do this interview. I respect the whole V.A.W movement and wish you guys luck in the future with building your brand and putting out quality content to your audience.

Q: Thank you, we appreciate that... So, can you tell us a little bit about where are you are from?
A:Well, I go by the name D.C. and I’m from Plainfield, New Jersey known by some as just "The Field". To be more specific I’m from the east end or "The E" but you can catch me anywhere in the city. It’s a small little hood in North Jersey maybe 20 minutes from Newark. If you hear me talking about "the field" or "queen city" in any of my music that’s the city I’m talking about. I move all over Jersey but that’s my hometown right there, the city that made me, raised me, and pays me. It’s a lot of talent out here but not a lot of people make it out, because of the conditions or mindset they have. It’s definitely people making moves out here though for example salute to my boy Moon. He was a finalist on 106 & Park Freestyle Friday a couple years back, definitely the first time I seen anybody from the field on TV . I also got a song with him on the album so I’m looking forward to releasing that. It’s a lot guys making moves on the club scene, DJ's/Dancers/Vocalists all that. You know club music is big out in New Jersey and a lot of guys from the city contribute to the success of the genre. I heard that Kevin White that just got drafted to the Chicago Bears is from out here too so, I’m just trying to add my name to that list of people that are made it out of Plainfield and became successful.
 Q: I hear that so, when did you start making music?
A: I mean I been rapping my whole life on & off. I remember being young as hell having notebooks filled with little corny bars *laughs* Rap battling guys over the phone on 3-ways and AIM just for jokes. I never took music serious until I was around 17. Honestly I think my inspiration to start taking it serious was so many whack dudes around me. They were rapping and ’m thinking, man fuck them I know I’m better than them let me show em’ real quick. I got a mic from a DJ I knew from the city, ripped some beats off YouTube and started getting busy. Recording freestyles and shit, the quality was horrible but once people got passed that and actually listened to what I was saying they told me "Your actually not that bad, keep it up”. I had to fix that quality issue though. Most rappers would’ve have hired a engineer but, I just taught myself how to mix vocals so that way my tracks were sounding better than decent. More and more people started showing love, not even necessarily because I was getting that much better but because they could hear the progression and the hard work I was putting in. You got to respect that! At this time I started thinking about dropping a mixtape but, the only problem was had no beats. Most rappers would have hired a producer but, I just taught myself how to make beats. And people actually fucked with them! So now I’m rapping over my own beats , engineering my own vocals and eventually I got my first tape together called "Long Story Short" where I’m rapping over YouTube beats and threw some of my own original beats/songs on there too , all engineered by me . No help or nothing. Dropped it when I was 17 and then the rest is history…..
Q: Since the rap game is so competitive and there are so many different artist, which artist inspire you?
A:  A lot of artists inspire me man, everything I hear inspires me whether it be good or bad. Either they inspire me to emulate them or they inspire me to be nothing like them. But I distinctly remember 50 Cent being my first real favorite artist. I still remember when Get Rich or Die Tryin’ came out I had that whole album memorized. I remember I was young as hell but that was the first album I ever bought. This was back when guys was bootlegging albums heavy*laughs*. But I grew up on 50, Nas, Jay-z, and Biggie. These were the artists that when I first started rapping I aspired to be like. To this day I’m still inspired by them but I got to add to that list Kanye West, The Game , Meek Mill , Troy Ave, Kendrick Lamar and  J. Cole .I respect  all artists and want my music to strike the same kind of feeling in my fans that these artists music give to me .
Q: You mentioned the way those artists music made you feel… Describe the feeling you think good music should create?  
A: The way I see it, good music is supposed to make you feel a certain way when you hear it. It’s supposed to be a personal, individual feeling different for each person beyond the sonic feeling that is shared by everyone. For example the beat will make people feel the same general feeling such as the feeling of wanting to dance, smoke weed, have sex, get turnt, start a riot, etc. But the actual lyrics will make different people feel different things depending on how they relate to them. And being that music is supposed to evoke a feeling in the person listening, I think it’s the things in my life that evoke a feeling in me that inspires me to make music that, in turn, will evoke a feeling in other people. That could be anything …winning a bet, being frustrated, having sex, getting money, having a  lack of money, struggling,  gaining success etc. These different feeling can be summed up in one word…. “LIFE”.
Q: Interesting so, if you could work with any of those artists you mentioned earlier who would it be?
A:  Being that you didn’t  say "music" artist, I’m tempted to say Picasso or Michelangelo and have one of them paint me an album cover or some shit *laughs* but on the music side of things I’d probably have to go with Kanye West! There’s no denying that man’s artistry, talent, and contribution to not only the hip-hop genre but modern music in general. I’d love to link up with Ye’ and see what we could whip up together. Family man-Kanye is cool and all but I’m trying link up with Fresh out the Chi, Polo’s &Louis Vuitton bags/Living in Newark/Pre-college Dropout Kanye West. That was my nigga *laughs*
Q: Yeah Kanye West definitely is the greatest….. So, what are your goals for the future?
A: Well besides the successful independent release of my album "The World Is Yours" I want to also successfully record and release the mixtape/EP following that album which will be called "NJ State of Mind”. That is actually exclusive information and I haven’t told anyone about that mixtape yet but, I respect your movement so I wanted to drop that information on this interview. "NJ State of Mind" has been in the making for a long time. I already got a couple songs locked in and I’m excited to get back to working on that. I also want to get back into performing within this year. I haven’t done a show since early 2014 so I can’t wait to get back on stage and show em’ what’s up.  Another goal I got for the year is to get a camera and start directing my own videos and videos for other artists. I’m trying to add the title “director” to my resume and I already got a couple of crazy concept ideas for some videos, so I’m real excited to get started with that. It will also bring me one step closer to my goal of writing/directing/and possibly acting in my own short movie and eventually full-length films when I get further along in my career. Making movies is something I 100% want to do in the future, but for now I’m focused on this music and my upcoming album.
 Q: So, your album is set to come out on July 4th, what can people expect from this album?
A:  To be honest, I don’t want people to expect anything. I want people to expect the worse, expect me to fail, and expect my fans and supporters to have been just been gassing this project up this whole time. That way it will be that much of a shock and impact when they do listen to it and they will be able to recognize and acknowledge for themselves the quality of the music that I am about to consistently drop on niggas heads. I’m trying to change lives with this one... I want people to expect "twitter rap" with no meaning, no concept, and no direction. I want people to expect a mixtape, not an album. It will feel that much better for me when I prove them wrong and make a much bigger impact on the game. From track 1 all the way through to the outro, people are going to have their expectations shattered again and again and again ... and that’s what I expect.

 You could contact me at my email HOWYOULIVINENT@YAHOO.COM. That’s connected directly to my phone so, I see it right away and that’s the best way to contact me. YOU CAN FIND MY MUSIC at www.soundcloud.com/dc908 ! My Twitter is @KINGDC_ and my IG @DC908. If you want to do a feature, need a beat, or just want to talk about the music I’m with all that hit me up! CHECK OUT DC'S MUSIC HERE CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT DC'S MUSIC!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment